Tuesday, August 11, 2009

ECW: What's Old Is New Again

(In Part 2 of 6 The Billdozah takes a stream of consciousness tour down under into the land of extreme, ECW. The purpose of these blogs is to find out what, if anything, each television program is doing correctly and more importantly gives said Billdozah the opportunity to vent, because he has a lot of venting to do. Coming soon we will read his thoughts on Smackdown, TNA Impact, ROH TV, and a hope for more alternatives)

In the spirit of last week’s critically acclaimed Raw blog, lets kick it off with a poor attempt at changing the lyrics to a famous song.

ECW is a friend,
Yeah, I know it’s been
A good friend of mine
But lately something's changed
That ain't hard to define
The ECW that made me want to hurl
Is turning around just fine
And I’m watching it with those eyes
Just lovin Tiffany with that body,
I just know it
Yeah 'n' I’m holding her
In my dreams late,
Late at night
But, you know, I still wish that I had Paul E’s girl…
Radio Edit!

(Special Rewind Stream of Consciousness from 2006 through most of 2008) Where is Paul Heyman and what did you do with my beloved wrestling company Vincent Kennedy McMahon?!?!

Ok, ok, ok…back to 2K9. Paul Heyman has walked out that door and he ain’t coming back (at least anytime soon). If you watch ECW with a longing for yesteryear, you are better off purchasing the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD. That company is dead and it isn’t coming back.

There were times where I hated to watch ECW. The company that pushed WWE into the Attitude era (believe it) and turned the fate of wrestling around, has died an ugly death. To make matters worse, they brought the company back giving fans delusions of grandeur. The old ECW died in a puff of Rob Van Dam smoke on that fateful July evening in 2006. We didn’t know it yet, but the coffin was already made, we were just waiting for those three letters to lie in it.

What happened from there was the proverbial kick to the genitals. Bobby Lashley was not the man to bring ECW to the next level. ECW fans could eloquently channel Dusty Rhodes in saying, “That’s not for you, daddy!” Vince McMahon as champion? Obviously someone didn’t want us cheering a certain three letters. Oh yeah, we got to see CM Punk and John Morrison in a decent feud; but we also got to see some runs with Chavo Guerrero and Mark Henry at the top of the cards.

But wait, what’s that I heard last week?

(Cue crowd noise…)
“ECW!”
“ECW!”
“ECW!”

Christian and Tommy Dreamer had a wild brawl in “Turn Back the Clock Night” on ECW TV! It was cool and innovative. These Extreme Rules matches under the current context of the product allow for a good feud between two veterans to move to the next level. The Hot Dog Stand, the car door, countless garbage can shots to head…I had visions of Dances With Dudley in Sugar Ray Candy Trees bouncing in my head!!!

If you think one Extreme Rules match changed my opinion on ECW, think again. The tide was actually turned some time back. For me, a rebirth began when Teddy Long brought his new superstar initiative to ECW. The first class all passed with aces; Jack Swagger is frigging unbelievable at such a young age. He might be two-time two-time friggin’ unbelievable if you ask me. And I love Evan Bourne. Obviously, size is the detriment to many individuals when they enter World Wrestling Entertainment. Ask Taz(z), Paul London, Dean Malenko, etc. etc. But for every guy who doesn’t reach the brass ring, we get an Eddie Guerrero who slips through the cracks. Is Evan Bourne one of those guys? You better believe it; it’s too bad he isn’t tearing it up on Smackdown. I am salivating at the idea of Jericho/Bourne, Mysterio/Bourne, more Kidd/Bourne, Punk/Bourne, to name a mere few.

One problem I had was the suddenness that those men left ECW. I think the Hart Dynasty could have used some more time to mix it up with the new class. They are primed and ready and hopefully don’t get lost in the shuffle on Smackdown. It would have been good to see them against the likes of Shaeumus and Yoshi Tatsu (to specifically name two guys who I think will do alright). Tyler Rex? Surf’s down for me so far dude. Abraham Washington? I’m open to the project, but no more Bella Twins in this segment please.

Hell I never thought I would cheer “Woo! Woo! Woo!” and actually get behind Long Island’s own Zack Ryder, but it works. YOU KNOW IT!

I even want to see where this Vladimir Koslov and Ezekiel Jackson game of one- upsmanship is headed. I refuse to hope for Guerrero vs. Malenko every time two guys get in the ring. It’s not healthy guys. Big guys get over in the WWE structure; I like athleticism and flips in my wrestling and I’ll gladly admit it. But it is too bad we don’t see the current incarnation of the big fat wrestler who will beat the hell out of you. We need today’s versions of Bam Bam Bigelow and Big Van Vader. Sidebar, sidebar, out of order, I apologize.

Getting to see Tommy Dreamer win the title was a really cool moment that makes me think Vince McMahon may have realized that when those old school ECW fans pay for his shows, he actually gets the money from it.

Before I end this long-winded rant (hold your sarcasm that we’re several lines too late), I want to talk about the ECW Champion Christian. When he went to TNA, I thought WWE really missed the boat and TNA was going finally get a guy in his prime and push him to his limits. Something was amiss and it’s too bad they bounced old Double J several months too late. I think Jeff Jarrett as the be all end all of TNA had a pretty big deal why Christian and other guys just never clicked to the level that was expected.

Since he returned to ECW, he looks in better shape and has added a lot of flash to his already polished in ring product. A guy like him on Raw as WWE Champion would make us find out if Randy Orton can truly have that good match which isn’t there for him with the Cena’s, Batista’s and Triple H’s of the WWE Universe…For more on that, last weeks blog explains everything.

Christian is where it’s at. He knows this is probably his last chance to truly make the mark in World Wrestling Entertainment that he deserves to. He’s had great feuds with Jack Swagger and Tommy Dreamer. He is a fresh and exciting champion that makes me want to watch his matches. If his legend ends with these ECW title reigns and the stars he helped create (Swagger) or rejuvenate (Dreamer), I’ll happily watch it while it lasts. I just don’t want to look back when he retires and put him in the “What Should Have Been” pile of stars Vince didn’t let scratch the surface of their true potential.

Full Disclaimer: I wish Paul Heyman was booking ECW until it’s final breath. It’s just not going to happen. So take away your lofty expectations (it’s taken me some serious time and a lot of DVR fast forwarding to do it myself, but YOU WILL GET THERE, well I hope) and try to enjoy a decent wrestling product. Hey, it could be worse. I think I talked about it last week. That’s Right Monday Night Raw, I’m lookin’at you!

I have one last thing to say…

“ECW!”
“ECW!”
“ECW!”

-The Billdozah

No comments:

Post a Comment